In recent years, the development team is undergoing several transformations like from the siloed waterfall approach to agile methodology and DevOps.
The actual transformation means how efficient you are using the resource, how you are carrying out the process and how you manage the overall process along with automation. This may be possible if you prefer DevOps along with Cloud computing.
Since many companies prefer DevOps to ensure their software meets the standard, they can also leverage the cloud platform to accelerate the development process.
DevOps is a philosophy that improves the process, whereas cloud computing is more about technologies and services. DevOps help development and operations to work together to have better communication and collaboration. Its goal was to build trust and reduce the friction between development and operations.
Cloud infrastructure is a technology platform where you can host your applications. It provides services like data storage, network, database, communication space, and hosting environment for the developers through the internet.
DevOps continuously improves the product delivery time at every stage of development and testing. Due to continuous improvement, it needs a strong platform like the cloud to access data immediately.
The centralized feature of cloud computing provides DevOps automation with a standard for testing, deployment, and production. DevOps is supported by most of the private and public cloud service providers. This approach of combining DevOps and Cloud computing ensures centralized governance and control, in addition to reducing the costs associated with DevOps automation on-premises.
DevOps uses orchestration systems that can proactively monitor the cloud data sets and application workloads. Continuous improvement in the development platforms ensures system security and prevents vulnerabilities to the cloud and other development platforms. In DevOps, the deployment platform uses unlimited resource provisioning which is best supported by the cloud.
To put it simply, DevOps won't have much value without the cloud, and the cloud won't have much value without DevOps.
To extend the traditional DevOps processes and automation into public and/or private clouds, you need to follow certain steps as mentioned below.
* Understanding the requirements: The process should start with logical planning, which many enterprises neglect. Take a deep look at what you're doing now and what you need to do in the future.
* Define the DevOps process: Define the process that you want to carry out, estimating the result, and possible alternative solutions as DevOps processes are distinct from one organization to another. Remember these processes will continually change as we improve them through review, test, and many errors.
* Select and test tools: The tools should be selected to work with the public as well as private cloud services, enabling hybrid cloud deployment. They must be able to provide an efficient work environment for communication.
* Focus on automated testing: The major focus should be on automated testing services while working on a DevOps balancing both public and private cloud platforms. It includes creating automated test scripts, application data testing, and the ability to test services. The test result must be used to review the developed product.
* Organizational change: DevOps is more about people than technology and tools. It requires a plan to hire the right people and provide them with the right amount of training. You need to have everyone to be on board with DevOps driven cloud development.
* Implementation: It is vital to implementing appropriate DevOps tools in the cloud platform. The perfect way is to work with development tools and operational tools. Then finally, integrate everything with the targeted cloud platform.
* Improves the scalability of the development process, thereby reduces the cost of the infrastructure.
* It's reliable because of its high degree of availability any without downtime in the services provided by the cloud.
* Continuous automation in each process improves the security of the application and improves maintenance.
* The delivery time of the product is very less due to the faster way of accessing the development environment.
* Without a proper definition of the problem and solution, it is very difficult to organize the processes.
* It's difficult to choose a tool since there was a lack of proper knowledge about the technology behind it.
* Implementation of a DevOps scenario extremely difficult for new users.
* Development and operations work in a different aspect, which leads to a lack of transparency and poor teamwork.
* DevOps won't be efficient process handling methodology when other than cloud platforms are used.
* Even though cloud support automation for DevOps, integrating both was a difficult process when continuous testing is done for deploying code.
DevOps and Cloud development platform will help to bring stability and consistency in your organizations. When DevOps is leveraged with the cloud platform, you can get a huge benefit from it.
Infinijith Technologies inculcate DevOps philosophy along with the cloud into its workflow through version control, continuous integration and delivery, automated testing and performance monitoring.